A site supervisor is a vital role in the construction industry, and they are responsible for managing and instructing site workers, setting goals for team, resolving problems, and much more.
The role also includes looking after health and safety, so requires a well organised, responsible person who is able to plan a project and look after all aspects until completion.
Duties may include:
- Assisting in development and maintenance of preconstruction, construction, and closeout execution plans
- Being aware of all safety hazards and precautions and ensuring all traders are instructed before they start work
- Regular site inspections to assess various safety hazards and determine the likelihood of an accident occurring
- Motivating, mentoring, and in some cases disciplining staff
- Procuring materials
- Planning and monitoring budgets
- Dealing with staff and sub-contractors and ensuring quality is met
- Managing client interaction and promoting positive relationships
- Gathering information and providing daily reports
- Assisting in the evaluation of subcontractor and supplier invoices
Desirable skills and attributes:
- Good communication skills
- Leadership and planning skills
- Computing and literacy skills
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Conflict management
- Attention to detail
- Strong at planning and organising
- Decision making skills
- Time management and prioritising skills
- Client focused
- Tolerant of stress
Qualifications and experience needed:
A bachelor’s degree in a related field such as engineering or construction management is preferable. There is also a chance to enter the field with equivalent combination of technical training and related experience, such as starting out as an apprentice and working and learning on the job.
You may wish to specialise in a field, such as health and safety or building inspection. As you take on more responsibility, you may gain chartered status and move forward to consultancy, construction management or contract management.
David Lewis, managing director, integra people, warrington